Thank you for your interest in the 2019 Portland International Cider Cup organized by The Northwest Cider Association, held at Square Mile Cider (Widmer Brothers Brewing) 929 N Russell St, Portland, OR. Entry deadline is Friday, March 22, and cider must be delivered to Widmer Brothers by Thursday, April 4.
You only need to register your information once and can return to this site to enter more ciders or edit the ciders you've entered.
Entry Registration is Open
4 entries have been added to the system as of 04:14, Friday, February 22, 2019.
To add your entries into the system, please proceed through the registration process or log in if you already have an account.
Judge and Steward Registration is Open
If you have not registered and are willing to be a judge or steward, please register: judge | steward.
If you have registered, log in and then choose Edit Account from the My Account menu indicated by the icon on the top menu.
Rules for Cider Entry
THE NWCA HAS MADE SEVERAL CHANGES TO THE COMPETITION THIS YEAR INCLUDING A NEW CATEGORY FOR SINGLE VARIETAL CIDER AND CHANGES TO THE SPICED CATEGORY. PLEASE READ THE RULES EVEN IF THIS IS NOT YOUR FIRST YEAR ENTERING!
YOU DO NOT NEED TO PRINT ANY LABELS THIS YEAR! IF YOU ARE ENTERING BOTTLES THAT ARE NOT LABELED, PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY HAVE YOUR CIDERY AND CIDER NAME CLEARLY PRINTED AND ATTACHED TO THE BOTTLE.
If you want to be a judge or a steward, please email MJ at email@example.com
$70 per entry is the NWCA member price. Non members pay $100 per entry. We will bill you after your entries have been submitted.
There are a limited number of free entries for new cideries (defined as starting after June 1, 2017). First, enter your cider(s) into the competition then email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive up to two free entries. This website will be updated when all free entries have been claimed. The Best New Cidery of the Year Award also comes with a $500 cash prize.
It is strongly recommended that you have a second browser open when you are entering ciders and have the "Info" tab open so you can refer to the Category Requirements. Competition organizers may reclassify ciders into the correct category if they notice a cider is entered in the wrong category, but it is not their responsibility to do so. If your cider is entered in the incorrect category and judged there, it will likely not do well!
Rules and Provisions:
- The shipper must pay all customs, duty, and shipping fees.
- All entries become the property of the Northwest Cider Association.
- Any portion of the entries remaining after the competition may be used in any way as seen fit by the Northwest Cider Association.
- Entrants must be a licensed cidery producing cider in the territory of the Northwest Cider Association which is currently Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, and British Columbia. Ciders made in the territory but not sold by a cidery licensed in the territory may not enter.
- Entry fees will not be reimbursed if cider shipment does not arrive, or arrives broken.
Cidery Entry Eligibility:
- All entries must be currently available for sale or destined for sale in the near future.
- All ciders must be made with 90% or more by volume apple juice not from concentrate. Perries must be made with 90% or more by volume pear juice not from concentrate. Change from previous years -- concentrate may be used for backsweetening. The only exception to this rule will be the Specialty category, which has no limitations.
- All entries must be made by cideries licensed within the territory of the Northwest Cider Association. This means that cideries in other states making cider via a contract with a producer in the region may not enter their ciders.
Rules for use of competition awards and feedback in marketing:
- Ciders that win a medal or award may reference that award via on-package marketing materials only with the prior written approval from the PICC planning committee, for which the committee will not unreasonably withhold approval.
- Vintage/dated ciders that win a medal or award may only reference that award for ciders of the same vintage/production date.
- Use of any award in a misleading way may result in that award being rescinded and the offending producer being barred from future competitions.
- Producers are responsible for ensuring that distributors, retailers and restaurants use awards in advertising and marketing in accordance with competition rules. Failure to maintain proper control of the use of these awards may also result in the award being rescinded and in ineligibility to compete in future competitions.
- Feedback is supplied to aid producers in understanding how ciders were perceived by judges and what the relative strengths and weaknesses were perceived to be. Individual judges’ comments are not to be quoted for marketing purposes without the express prior approval of the PICC planning committee.
The Best of Show judging will be determined by a Best of Show panel based on a second judging of the gold medal winners.
You can send an email to any of the following individuals via Contact.
- MJ Harris — NWCA Administrator
The Northwest Cider Association is proud to have the following sponsors for the 2019 Portland International Cider Cup.
PICC Awards Night - Thursday, June 20 in Portland
Presenting Sponsor - $5,000
- Featured logo on all promotions related to both awards submission and event.
- Speaking opportunities at event.
- Classified as Oregon Cider Week Kick-Off Party Sponsor, with added recognition in consumer-facing media.
- Customized opportunities available.
Awards Sponsorship (8 pillar categories available) - $1,000 each
- Logo recognition on awards submission website and promotion.
- Smaller logo recognition on all promotions related to the event.
- On-site event recognition.
- Logo recognition for award certificates.
- 8 pillar categories available: Best in Show and Runner Up , Best New Cidery of the Year , Large and Small Cideries of the Year , Modern (Modern Dry, Modern Sweet, Wild, and Specialty) , Heritage (Heritage Dry, Heritage Sweet, English Dry, English Sweet, and French) , NW Innovaters (Hopped, Spiced/Herbed, Wood/Oaked, Fruit) , Perry (Modern Perry, Traditional Perry) , Best Dressed .
Bar & Food Sponsorships - $750 each
- On-site logo exposure
- Website recognition
Please email Emily Ritchie at email@example.com for more details.